Student Employment FAQs

Open All Tabs
  • What types of employment programs are available to students at UM?

    There are two main types of on-campus employment programs offered to undergraduate students at the University of Miami. The programs offered include the Federal Work Study Program and the Student Assistant program. Off-campus part-time positions are also listed, to which students can apply.

  • How do I find a job?

    All student jobs are posted on JobX ( Listed jobs are viewable for all students and guests; however, only students who have enrolled in classes at UM for a current or future semester may apply to these jobs. JobX is organized by program type. It’s helpful to know which programs you qualify for and then to search for either Federal Work Study or Student Assistant positions. Students apply for jobs they are interested in, and supervisors will contact selected students and schedule a job interview for the position. In order to apply for Federal Work Study positions, the student must “accept” the award as part of the financial aid process. 

  • What is the Federal Work Study Program?

    Federal Work Study (FWS), including Community Service Work Study, is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other financial aid criteria. Funding for this program is limited. Students are awarded a specific amount, and the federal government subsidizes the wages to the employer. This means that the employer pays a portion of the wages and FWS pays the remaining portion. Jobs may be with on-campus departments or with off-campus community service agencies.

  • What is the Student Assistant Program?

    The Student Assistant Program is open to all degree-seeking enrolled students. UM departments and off-campus employers pay in full for these students’ wages. The best time to look for these positions is early in the semester.


  • Federal Work Study is listed in my financial aid award; do I need to get a job in order to receive those funds?

    Yes; Federal Work Study (FWS) is listed because you are eligible to participate in the program. This is a work program. In order to receive the funds, you will need to work to earn them. Not all students who receive Federal Work Study take the option to work. There is no penalty for not participating in the FWS program. As long as you are eligible, the FWS offer will be available to you for the eligibility period.


  • My Federal Work Study (FWS) or Lead Miami offer has $2,000 for fall and $2,000 for spring; does that mean those are the limits I can earn per semester?

    You may earn up to the total offered amount for the eligibility period. For example, if you received a FWS offer for $4,000, you may earn $3,000 during the fall, and you will have $1,000 left available to earn in the spring.

  • Can I work as many hours as I want? 

    Most students usually work 20 to 25 hours a week. We strongly suggest you restrict your work schedule to no more than 25 hours per week while school is in session.

  • How much will I be paid per hour?

    You will be paid at least the minimum wage, which is currently $11.00 in the state of Florida. Effective September 30, 2023, the minimum wage in the state of Florida will increase to $12 an hour. But you may be paid at a higher rate depending on the type of work you do and the skills required for the job.

  • If I decline my FWS award, do I have to repay this amount to the University?

    No; FWS is an award to participate in an employment program where the funds are earned through work. The amount is not subtracted from your tuition bill and therefore will not need to be repaid if you choose not to participate. Student employment earnings are paid directly to the student to cover educational-related expenses.

  • Are FWS wages considered taxable income?

    Yes; Federal Work Study wages are taxable income. If taxes are withheld from your paycheck, you may be eligible for a tax refund, depending on your particular financial situation. You will receive a W-2 form from the UM Payroll Office indicating your FWS and any other funds earned at the University of Miami. It's in your best interest that you file a federal tax return with the IRS by April 15.

  • How are FWS wages considered when applying for financial aid the following year?

    FWS wages are excluded from consideration in the determination of your expected family contribution. The exclusion is put into effect by including the gross amount of your FWS wages on Worksheet C of the FAFSA. Your FWS wages are reported as part of your AGI and income from work on the FAFSA.

  • Can a student have more than one job?

    A student can hold more than one job at the same time; however, only one of the jobs can be funded through the Federal Work Study program. Students should limit their work hours to 25 or less during the academic year.

  • Are pay rates different for Federal Work Study (FWS) students, Student Assistants, and Lead Miami students?

    No; whether a student is hired as a Federal Work Study student, a Student Assistant, or a Lead Miami student, the pay rates and conditions of employment are the same. All student employees are paid in accordance with the University’s student pay structure, which is based on the responsibilities and skills required for the job. Off-campus jobs offer rates of pay that may be outside the University’s pay rate categories.

  • What happens if I exceed my Federal Work Study award amount?

    Earnings beyond the award amount will be charged in full to your employing department. You and your supervisor should, therefore, anticipate your earnings based on the hourly rate and the number of hours you will have available to work. This will determine how best to manage your Federal Work Study award. It’s possible, based on your financial aid eligibility and the availability of federal funds, to be considered for additional Federal Work Study as earnings reach the original awarded amount.

  • How do I get paid? How does payroll work for students?

    Once your employer completes the hiring paperwork in the University payroll system (Workday), you will be able to clock in and clock out to record your hours worked. Your supervisor will review and approve your hours at the end of each pay period. You will receive a paycheck every two weeks for the number of hours worked and approved based on the payroll cycle schedule.

  • Will my work earnings be deducted to pay for my tuition?

    Your earnings will not be deducted to pay for your tuition. Student employment earnings are paid directly to the student to cover educational-related expenses.

  • Is the job search and hiring process different for international students?

    International students are eligible for Student Assistant positions. International students must have a valid F-1 or J-1 status, which includes pursuing a full course of study in a UM degree program. A full course of study is defined as a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits during fall and spring semesters. International students who do not have a Social Security card must apply for a Social Security number to be eligible to work.


  • Are there jobs at the medical campus/marine campus and how do I find them?

    All student positions are listed in When applying for jobs at the medical or marine campuses, please ensure you will have reliable transportation or be willing to take public transportation to get to your job. You will also need to consider the additional commuting time you will need.

  • What documents do I need to present to complete the Form I-9 upon being hired?

    The Department of Homeland Security provides a list of documents that can be presented to complete the required Form I-9. Depending on your citizenship/immigration status, there are different options. For example, students who are U.S. citizens may present their nonexpired U.S. passport. U.S. citizens and U.S. residents may provide a government-issued ID with picture and their Social Security card or birth certificate. International students have different requirements. Please check the list available in